Monday, June 13, 2016

Buttermilk Biscuits

Making biscuits from scratch is much easier than most cooks realize. This recipe has been in my family for generations and is modified here to update it; for instance, the original used vegetable shortening but I prefer butter. Also, I rarely buy buttermilk because I don't have much use for it, so I usually use whole milk curdled with a little vinegar.

1 cup buttermilk OR 1 Tbsp vinegar, brought up to one cup with milk, allowed to sit for 5 minutes
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter

Mix together the four dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or other utensil. Add liquid and mix well until a dough forms. Turn out onto a floured board and knead 10-15 times, then flatten the dough to about 1/2 inch thick using a rolling pin. Cut into round biscuits using an inverted wine glass or a ring mold. Place each biscuit onto a greased cookie sheet and brush each top with a little milk. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes or until tops are a bit browned.
The Southern thing to do is to eat these with butter and honey. My grandfather used to mix the two together to make a delicious butter-honey paste and put that on his biscuits. I usually make these for breakfast, but I remember having them often with honey as a dessert when I was little.

No comments:

Post a Comment